Over the past eight years, Affirmed Networks has helped leading service providers successfully transition to NFV based architectures and realize exceptional returns. Along the way, we’ve learned some valuable lessons on how providers can avoid underwhelming NFV results and realize the technology’s full transformative benefits.
To help CSPs across the world ensure success deploying NFV as they prepare for 5G, we have identified 10 key lessons for a successful deployment that we are now sharing in a new paper titled “Lessons Learned on the NFV Front Lines,” that we recently published. The paper highlights many key areas that service providers should take note of as they continue to transform their networks, including:
- Not all hardware is created equal
- The packet forwarding architecture and hypervisor need attention too
- Don’t oversubscribe the application
- NFV isn’t a simple plug-and-play solution
- Redundancy needs to be built into the application and not just the NFVI architecture
- Telecom applications require built-in load balancing
- VMs need to scale independently
- Ownership is important
- One EMS is better than two (or three)
- Take the time to learn from the leaders
To gain a better understanding of the insights behind all of these tips for a successful deployment, read the paper in its entirety.